Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

9/16/11

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White


Book overview: Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.
Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.

My Review:
Well, I didn't read this very quickly but I did enjoy it (I judge how much I enjoy a book by how quickly I read it.) Towards the end is when I really was able to get into it and now I'm excited about the series and anxious to learn what happens next.
As far as the writing goes: Kiersten isn't the most eloquent writer I've ever read in my life but she's also not the worst. I enjoyed the humor she peppered the book with and how consistent it was throughout the whole story no matter what was going on. Her writing was simple and to the point which was very opposite from the story: complex and mysterious. I liked the combination.
The characters were fun. I didn't mind being inside Evie's head at all. I felt the way she told the story from her pov was entertaining and light. It gave the whole book a more solid feel as if I was just reading the pages of her journal. While she is definitely a typical teenager with crushes and a love for pink she made no excuses about it. I loved her take-me-as-I-am attitude and how she could kick butt while still looking "hot". Very Isabel Lightwood of her. While Lend was a great character it was Reth that intrigued me. All of his poetry and vague comments had me writhing to know what in the world was going on inside his head and furthermore what was going on inside the faerie realms.
I cannot wait to start the next one!
If you're looking for an easy and fun read, I'd recommend this book. Its simplistic in its writing but deep in plot which, if you ask me makes for a great relationship.

♥ ♥

1 comment:

Emma Frances said...

I'm new to your blog! Do you do book reviews often?! Because if so, I'm already in love! :] I am always looking for fun new books to read. Thanks for sharing!