Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

3/11/11

Book Review: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (Book One) by Cassandra Clare


Ugh. Where to begin.

First of all, the synopsis: Clary Fray's world is turned upside down after witnessing a murder and then finding out she's more like those murderers than she ever imagined. She soon learns that everything she thought she knew isn't quite as it seems.

And now, what I thought:

I loved this book, I hated this book. I wanted to keep reading, I wanted to throw it across the room. Clare seriously knows how to tease her readers and keep them hanging on until the very. last. word. And she kept my emotions very stirred up throughout the entire book. Smart woman.

As a narrative voice, Clare used a lot of description. Especially when it came to smells. That made the book very tangible for me, which i liked. I had no trouble at all envisioning the way the scenes looked or what the characters looked like thanks to her excellent ability to create an image. Her characters were well developed and I felt a different connection with each one. I felt for Alec, I laughed at Jace, I cheered on Isabelle etc. Her story/plot was compelling and the situations were intense and page turning. Although I still have a few questions about the story line, I still have 2 other books to read in the series, so those might be addressed in City of Ashes or City of Glass.

In concerning the actual story itself, I loved it. Up until page 371. That's when it all went downhill for me. I actually had to force myself to finish because a certain character was missing. A character that had kept me bound to the book throughout the earlier pages. Then it just got more frustrating from there! (Really Ms. Clare, didja have to?!) I'm hoping in the next books things will work out the way I want them to because right now I'm absolutely dying inside because of certain circumstances. Yeah, I did not like the ending. Not at all.

I'm anxious to read the next one. And the next one and the next after that and the next after that. (There will be 6 books in all. You can read more about that here.)

That being said, can I just insert some swoonage here? Its necessary. Really.
Two words: Jace Wayland. YES PLEASE! I love, love, LOVE everything about his character. And the way Cassandra Clare wrote him was great. I loved getting to know him through [mostly] Clary's perspective and I was dying right along with her to know what makes him tick. Besides the fact that I'm sure the tangible Jace Wayland will probably trigger drooling upon sight, he is witty too! There were so many one liners that had me literally laughing (and swooning) out loud. I seriously appreciated that. Observe:

My Favorite Jace Wayland Quotes:

There was an intent look on Simon's face. "and there are vampires, too? Werewolves, warlocks, all that stuff?"
Clary gnawed on her lower lip. "So I hear."
"And you kill them, too?" Simon asked, directing the question to Jace, who had put the stele back in his pocket and was examining his flawless nails for defects.
"Only when they've been naughty."

"Is this when you start tearing strips off your t-shirt to bind up my wound?" she joked. She hated the sight of blood, especially her own.
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked." he dug into his pocket and brought out his stele. "It would have been a lot less painful."

"Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu.
It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me."

He threw the door open. "Come in. And try not to murder any of my guests."
Jace edged into the doorway, sizing up Magnus with his eyes. "Even if one of them spills a drink on my new shoes?"

Jace look almost nervous. "Jace Wayland. Remember? I'm from the Clave."
"Oh, yes." Magnus seemed to have perked up. "are you the one with the blue eyes?"
"He means Alex," Clary said helpfully.
"No. My eyes are usually described as golden," Jace told the intercom, "And luminous."

"You missed," he said, and grinned for the first time, showing pointed white incisors. "You missed my heart."
Jace tightened his grip. "You moved at the last minute," he said. "That was very inconsiderate."

"I wish he'd hurry," Jace said crossly...
"Why? Does it hurt?" Clary asked.
"No. I have a high pain threshold. In fact, it's less of a threshold and more of a large and tastefully decorated foyer. But I do get easily bored." He squinted at her. "Do you remember back at the hotel when you promised that if we lived, you'd get dressed up in a nurse's outfit and give me a sponge bath?"

Gah. I. Love. Him.

Anyone else read it? Lets talk!! I want to know what you thought about the ending. Are you upset, like me???

Photobucket

No comments: